warning sign Our Customer Service phone lines will be closed on Good Friday (15 April) and Bank Holiday Monday (18 April). During these times you can still use all our online services.

You can also contact the emergency council housing repairs service on 0800 018 6050 and make payments using our 24 hour automated service on 0345 370 6070  ×

Self-build and custom housebuilding register

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on us to keep a register of individuals and community groups who have expressed an interest in acquiring ‘serviced land' to bring forward self-build and custom-build housing projects.

What is self-build and custom-build housing?

‘Self-build' and 'custom-build' housing may be commissioned and/or built by an individual or by a group of individuals for their own use, either by building the home on their own or working with builders and contractors.

The amount of personal involvement in the building process will vary. Self-builders will physically build all or part of a home themselves. For custom-build, a developer will seek a number of self-build clients and build their homes to their specification under a contract.

What is 'serviced land'?

Serviced land is land which has access to a public highway and connections for electricity, water and waste water. 

How can people register an interest in self-build and custom housebuilding in Dacorum?

If you wish to be included on the register, please fill out the application form (see below) and return it to us. You can register either as an individual, an association or group. We do need all the information requested to check your eligibility for inclusion on the register. Your information will also help us understand what the demand is locally.

Please note that the Government may issue further guidance, and so we may need to contact you again for more information.

What information will the register contain?

In accordance with the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016, the register must contain the following information:

  1. For an individual – name and address
  2. For an association or group – name and address of the association; name and address of the lead contact for the association (if different); and the number of serviced plots in Dacorum that the association is seeking to acquire.

The information on the register may be updated at any time.

How will we use the information provided?

By registering your details, you are agreeing that we can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom-build and self-build housing in Dacorum. The register itself will not be a public document, but the Government guidance encourages councils to publish headline data from it as part of the Authority Monitoring Report (AMR).

Please note: Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available.

Related forms

 Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register application form (PDF 234KB)

 Self-build register application form guidance notes (PDF 290KB)

This form should be completed and emailed to strategic.planning@dacorum.gov.uk. Alternatively, it can be returned by post to Strategic Planning and Regeneration, Dacorum Borough Council, The Forum, Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP1 1DN.

More information

Contact us

You can also contact the planning policy team via email at strategic.planning@dacorum.gov.uk or telephone 01442 228660.