Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We understand that some residents may have difficulty in making Council Tax payments in line with the instalments shown on their bills. We don’t want anyone to worry about not being able to pay, but we also don't want debt to build up and cause a problem in the future. We will be getting in touch with residents who have fallen behind with payments, so we can see if there are any issues we can help with, or if we can signpost to other sources of support.

Council Tax Support

If your income has dropped because you are no longer able to work, you may be able to claim Council Tax Support to reduce your bill.

To find out how much help you might get, please use the benefit calculator on the Entitled To website.

As a temporary measure, while social distancing rules are in place, you can apply by completing this form:  Council Tax Support application form (PDF 842KB). If you are using a tablet to complete the Council Tax support application form, please make sure you have the Adobe Acrobat app installed. Once complete, please email to

Universal Credit

You may also qualify for Universal Credit to help with your rent and daily living expenses. For more information, please visit the Government website.

Council Tax hardship fund

The Government has announced that anyone of working age who receives Council Tax Support (CTS-WA) will have their Council Tax bill for 2020-2021 reduced by up to £150. This means that if you receive CTS-WA we work out the amount of support, and then take an extra £150 off your bill.  

You do not need to apply for this - we will automatically add the extra help to your account.

There may be further help available to all residents as part of this fund, but at the moment we have no further information about this. We will update this page with more details as it becomes available.

Please do not contact our Customer Services team to ask questions about this, as they have no more information than that shown here.

Council Tax services

Council Tax

The Council Tax you pay funds services provided by us, Hertfordshire County Council and Hertfordshire Police. If you live in an area with a parish or town council, some of the Council Tax also goes to them. For more information, please click on the links below.

Council Tax charges for 2020-2021

Information on our spending and income.

Where your money goes

We collect your Council Tax and put it into a separate fund called the 'collection fund'. This year we need to collect over £100 million in Council Tax.

Although we are responsible for collecting all of your Council Tax, only 11p of every £1 we collect is kept by us to pay for our services. The rest of what we collect goes to Hertfordshire County Council, who receive 78p of every £1 and to the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hertfordshire who gets a further 11p.

You can find out how much of your bill you pay to each of these public authorities in the Council Tax leaflet below. To find out how much you should pay, you can check the banding level of your property. Each authority has produced information to show how it spends its part of the Council Tax. For more details, click on the links below:

Frequently asked questions

Contact us

Phone: 01442 228000
Dacorum Borough Council 
Council Tax Section 
The Forum
Hemel Hempstead

Warning signCoronavirus (COVID-19): We continue to provide services online and via telephone. However, we recognise that in some cases you will need an appointment with an officer, and will therefore be offering limited pre-booked appointments at the Forum for urgent enquiries. Please call 01442 228000 and ask for the service you require. For council service updates and other advice, please see our COVID-19 page×