warning sign Our Customer Service phone lines will be closed on Good Friday (15 April) and Bank Holiday Monday (18 April). During these times you can still use all our online services.

You can also contact the emergency council housing repairs service on 0800 018 6050 and make payments using our 24 hour automated service on 0345 370 6070  ×

Councillors' allowances 

The elected members of Dacorum Borough Council receive allowances in recognition of the time, work and costs involved in representing Dacorum’s residents.

Our scheme of allowances is based on the rules set out in national legislation. The levels of allowances we pay are agreed by an external independent panel (an Independent Remuneration Panel). To decide what the allowances should be, the panel analyses the changing demands and pressures of members' workloads, and compares allowances with other councils in England.


There are four types of allowance.

  1. Basic allowance - All of our elected members receive the basic allowance. This supports the work they do as local councillors, representing their constituents, travelling around the borough and attending council and local community meetings.
  2. Special responsibility allowance - Members with additional duties and responsibilities receive a special responsibility allowance. For example, the Leader of the Council, Cabinet members, committee chairs and vice-chairs, group leaders.
  3. Care allowance - A care allowance is available to Members who have to pay for the care of children or dependants so that they can carry out their duties as councillors.
  4. Travel and subsistence allowance - Members can claim for travel where their journeys are connected with approved council duties. 
For full details, please see our  Members' Allowances Scheme 2017 (PDF 347KB).

Payment of allowances 

Details of the amount paid to each councillor for previous financial years are set out below. 

Review of allowances 

The Independent Remuneration Panel advises us on our Members’ Allowances Scheme and the allowances that councillors should receive. We must take this advice into account when we review or amend our scheme.

There are three people on the panel, all of whom have some degree of financial experience and/or knowledge of Local Government.

The panel’s report and recommendations went to Cabinet on 14 February 2017 and Full Council on 22 February 2017. The report concluded that there should be a total increase of 2.1 per cent to bring the basic allowance (payable to all councillors) in line with other Hertfordshire authorities.

To find out more, download the full  Independent Remuneration Panel Report 2016 (PDF 537KB)

More information

For further information, email member.support@dacorum.gov.uk or call 01442 228209.