Typical noise complaints include:

  • Loud music
  • Barking dogs
  • Vehicle or burglar alarms
  • Factory or construction noise
  • Aircraft
  • DIY
  • Roadworks

What we can do

  • Advise on noise problems
  • Help to resolve noise problems
  • Take legal action where a statutory nuisance is found.

What we can't do

We are unable to take action in relation to general living noise during reasonable hours, such as:

  • footsteps 
  • flushing the toilet 
  • household appliances such as washing machines and vacuum cleaners
  • moving furniture 
  • general talking 
  • children playing or crying 
  • slamming doors
  • shouting

Noise nuisance is assessed on the viewpoint of 'the average person'. As such, we are not always able to help those who are:

  • affected by noise due to personal sensitivity or a medical condition - for example, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or anxiety
  • have requirements considered to be a lifestyle choice or not typical of ‘the average person’ - for example, shift workers trying to sleep during the day or those that have an expectation of silence while living in a residential community
  • are suffering noise issues due to a lack of appropriate insulation - this is a matter for the homeowner/landlord to address.

Please contact us if you unsure whether we can help.

What is a statutory nuisance?

For noise to be a statutory nuisance it must be:

  • Excessive and unreasonable
  • Interfere with a person's normal life.

For us to be able to act on a statutory nuisance:

  • There must be sufficient evidence (much of it from you)
  • A notice must be served requiring the noise nuisance to be abated (reduced)
  • If the notice is ignored, it could lead to prosecution and/or seizure of equipment.

Please remember: you may have to appear in court as a witness.

First steps

Before making a formal complaint, we advise that you approach the person making the noise, especially if it is a neighbour.

  • Don’t wait until the problem makes you angry.
  • See your neighbour and talk about how the problem is affecting you.
  • Don’t be aggressive. This will only make matters worse.
  • Try to keep your discussion to the particular problem of the noise.
  • Explain how the noise makes you feel. Do not blame or accuse. Your neighbour may not be aware how much their behaviour is affecting you.
  • Above all stay calm and be polite.

We will respond to all complaints about noise, but we can only take formal action where we are satisfied that there is evidence of a statutory nuisance, (and we are not excluded by law from acting). For advice on resolving neighbour disputes, please visit the Government website.

How to report noise nuisance

To report initial noise complaints, please fill out our online form:

Report noise nuisance

Alternatively, you can call Customer Services on 01442 228000 and state that you want to make a complaint about noise. When you first contact us we will discuss your problem with you and give you advice on what action you can take.

Our procedures

We log all complaints and, where appropriate, we'll send you a noise pack and diary sheets to record any incidents. Alternatively, you can download our  noise nuisance pack (PDF 147KB). When we receive your completed diary sheets the case will be allocated a reference number. We may also write to the person you are complaining about to inform them that we have received a complaint, and give them the opportunity to respond to us. We do this to be fair to everyone and because it often solves the problem.

At the same time, we will ask you to continue to keep diary records to substantiate your complaint and return them to us. Use the diary sheets to record any noise incidents. This evidence may be used in court, therefore they must be an accurate representation of what you observed. We will not at this stage reveal your name. However, sometimes it will be obvious and if we do have to go to court then your name will be revealed. (We have to prove nuisance to someone).

If we are satisfied that there is a statutory nuisance we will serve a notice requiring that the nuisance stop. This is known as an Abatement Notice. If the problem goes on, we can potentially take action through the magistrates' court. We usually require you to attend as a witness. In certain really serious cases, whether or not we prosecute, we can act by seizing or disabling the equipment.

If, despite prosecution, the problem goes on, we may have to return to court. As long as the problem continues it is vital that you keep making diary records.

Diary records

It is important that you keep an accurate record of any incidents when noise becomes a nuisance to you. This will be your evidence, which we must use if any legal action is taken.

To ensure information is recorded accurately, we will require you to keep a diary record in a prescribed format. You can download the  noise nuisance diary sheets (PDF 147KB)  or we will supply you with them via email or post. 

Full instructions on how to complete the diary sheets are included in our  noise nuisance pack (PDF 147 KB). Without this diary record we may not be able to help you. The diary sheets should be sent to us via post or emailed to The information will be used to assess the problem and to take any further action that may be necessary.

Page Last Updated: Tuesday, 28 November 2023 at 11:30 AM