warning sign Our website will be unavailable from 2pm-8pm on Friday 19 January while we carry out essential upgrades. If you have an urgent enquiry please contact customer services on 01442 228000. For housing repairs only please call 0800 018 6050.  ×

Anti-social behaviour

Our team is committed to tackling anti-social behaviour. We aim to help residents lead peaceful lives, free from harassment and aggravation. We will deal quickly and efficiently with troublemakers using a range of solutions. If the anti-social behaviour puts you in immediate danger, then you need to call 999. 

What is anti-social behaviour?

The Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 defines anti-social behaviour as:

  • Conduct that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person,
  • Conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to a person in relation to that person’s occupation of residential premises, or;
  • Conduct capable of causing (housing-related) nuisance or annoyance to any person.
For examples of ASB, please see out anti-social behaviour policy, below.

Before you report anti-social behaviour

Before you report an incident of anti-social behaviour to us, consider these things:

Reporting criminal behaviour

In certain circumstances, it may be appropriate to contact the police about anti-social behaviour. They are responsible for dealing with anti-social behaviour that constitutes a criminal offence - for example, vandalism, graffiti, harassment, threats or violence and drug use/dealing. They have a range of additional powers under the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

Police community support officers (PCSOs) focus on lower level crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour. You can approach them if you have questions or concerns about anti-social behaviour by telephoning 101. Alternatively, you can pass on information anonymously via CrimeStoppers.

If the person causing you problems is a private tenant and you know who their landlord or letting agent managing the property is, or if they rent from a housing association, contact them to let them know about the anti-social behaviour. 

What we can do

If you find yourself having to make a complaint about anti-social behaviour we will arrange to meet with you to discuss the issue. We need to know what happened, where it happened, how often it happened and how it has affected you, and this can be sent to us on diary sheets which we can send to you electronically or by post.

All information given to us will be confidential. We will work with you to find solutions.

We will investigate your complaint and may contact other potential witnesses to gather as much evidence as possible. A housing officer or ASB Officer will investigate the alleged anti-social behaviour before deciding on appropriate action. If you are one of our tenants the first contact will normally be made by your housing officer. It is likely that our actions may involve contacting the person you have complained about. If the alleged perpetrator is vulnerable (for example, because of a mental health problem), the housing officer or ASB Officer may involve other agencies, such as social services or the community mental health team.

In the majority of cases, the problems will stop after just one intervention. In serious cases, we can use a range of legal actions to stop the nuisance, such as community protection notices, injunctions and closure orders. If the perpetrator is a Dacorum Borough Council tenant, we may also apply for possession of their property.

With the help of other council departments, and by working in partnership with the Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team in Dacorum, we will continue to make our borough a safe place to live and deal swiftly with those who cause misery to others.

Report anti-social behaviour

To report anti-social behaviour, please fill out our online form:

Report anti-social behaviour

Community Trigger

If you've reported anti-social behaviour and aren't getting any respite, you may be able to use the Community Trigger. This entitles you to a multi-agency review of your case if a certain threshold is met. For more information, please visit our Community Trigger page.

More information

For further information, please view our  Anti-Social Behaviour Policy (PDF 999KB).

Contact us

Telephone: 01442 228000 and ask for the anti-social behaviour team.
Email: asb@dacorum.gov.uk