warning sign Our Customer Service phone lines will be closed on Good Friday (15 April) and Bank Holiday Monday (18 April). During these times you can still use all our online services.

You can also contact the emergency council housing repairs service on 0800 018 6050 and make payments using our 24 hour automated service on 0345 370 6070  ×

Gaming machines in pubs and bars

Certain premises, which are licensed for the sale of alcohol, are entitled to make a number of gaming machines available for use on their premises, if we have given permission to do so.

To qualify, the premises must:

  • Be licensed to supply alcohol, for consumption on those premises (off-licences are not eligible),
  • Contain a bar (restaurants without a bar are not eligible),
  • Not be subject to any licence conditions restricting alcohol sales to people having meals on the premises,
  • Not be licensed under the Gambling Act 2005 (for example, betting shops, casinos, adult gaming centres).

Gaming machines must be supplied and maintained by a licensed supplier, and the premises must follow the  Gambling Commission's Code of Practice for clubs and licensed premises (PDF 53KB).

Gaming machines are categorised according to how much they cost to use and the maximum prize available. Only category C or D gaming machines can be made available for use in pubs and bars. The Gambling Commission provides further information on the categories of gaming machine which may be made available in these premises.

Licensed premises gaming machines

For more information, click on the headings below.