Equality, diversity and inclusion
Our legal duties
The Equality Act 2010 sets out the legal framework for what is considered discrimination. For public authorities, which includes the Council, the Act sets out things that must be done. This is known as the Public Sector Equality Duty, which is made up of the General Equality Duty and the Specific Equality Duty.
General Equality Duty
The General Equality Duty requires that we take steps to:
- eliminate discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by or under the Equality Act 2010
- advance equality of opportunity between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it
- foster good relations between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it.
Protected characteristics are:
- Race (including nationality and ethnicity)
- Gender reassignment
- Religion or belief (or not having a religion)
- Sexual orientation
- Marital/civil partnership status
- Pregnancy or maternity
Specific Equality Duty
The Specific Equality Duty requires we:
- publish equality information at least once a year to show how we have complied with the General Equality Duty
- prepare and publish equality objectives at least every four years.
Our commitment - key documents
The following documents have been developed to show our commitment to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion and to meet the Public Sector Equality Duty:
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion StrategyOur Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy (PDF 331KB) sets out our commitment for an inclusive environment for all our staff, and also provides a framework to ensure that we deliver an appropriate and inclusive service to residents on each and every contact.
It outlines 10 equality commitments to support our three equality objectives.
Dacorum equality vision, objectives and commitments 2021-2024We're committed to creating a culture in which equality of opportunity is actively promoted in service provision and the working environment. One of our values is:
Nurturing equality, diversity and inclusion:
- I treat everyone fairly, with courtesy and respect
- I empower people by respecting and appreciating what makes them different
- I do not tolerate racism or any form of discrimination and will appropriately challenge poor behaviour and attitudes
- I ensure everyone feels welcomed, heard and included
- I always consider the impact of decisions on our staff and communities
To further this vision, we have agreed the following equality objectives:
Objective 1: The workforce feels equality, diversity, inclusion and belonging is highly valued and there is a commitment to continuous improvement in this area.
Objective 2: To enhance understanding and support for our communities by improving community engagement and how we collect, share and analyse data.
Objective 3: We ensure that policies and processes are in place to best support equality, diversity and inclusion.
To make sure that we consider the needs of all sections of our community and our impact on the environment during the development of policies and projects, we complete community impact assessments for projects or policy development. This is to help ensure that we take steps to promote equality and avoid potential discrimination.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Action PlanActions linked to our commitments and objectives are monitored using our Equality Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan (PDF 161KB) which is monitored by our Equality Working Group (members are equality representatives from across the Council). Progress against the action plan will be published annually.
Equality Information and Progress ReportsThese documents contain equality data and examples of activities carried out that show how we meet the requirements of the Equality Act.
- Staff report: Staff by protected characteristic (PDF 843KB)
- Annual Equality Progress Report 2022-2023 (PDF 641KB)
- Hertfordshire and Wessex District Health Profile - Dacorum (PDF 2MB)
Other equality information
Equality and Diversity Policy Statement
Our Equal Opportunity Policy Statement (PDF 81KB) aims to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations between all Council workers. This is currently being updated.
If you would like to know more, have any comments, or would like a copy of our policy of our documents in other languages or formats.
Telephone: 01442 228000 and ask for Human Resources