Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for tenants and leaseholders

How are you protecting staff and tenants from coronavirus?

Due to the Government’s guidance to undertake only essential travel, our Officers will not be doing home visits or face-to-face meetings with tenants, with the exception of priority health and safety checks. If we are due to visit you, please get in touch with us if anyone in your home is in a high-risk category and currently self-isolating or has any symptoms (high temperature and/or cough).

As a consequence of this, we are currently not visiting you as part of your Introductory or Flexible tenancies. Your Housing Officer will contact you to discuss this over the phone.

If you need to contact your Income, Tenancy, or Sustainment Officer, please do not visit the Forum or our other offices. Instead, please contact us by email, text message or a phone call. This will protect you and our staff from unnecessary risk of infection and ensures that we comply with Government advice.

Please also remember to keep communal areas and landings free of items. This is to reduce the risk to you and your neighbours, and we will still be carrying out inspections.

Our cleaners are prioritising cleaning of communal areas of sheltered schemes and temporary accommodation, but will also continue to clean communal areas in flats. They will be focusing on cleaning any touchpoints and especially entry/exits to the building with antibacterial spray or wipes. Please follow Government advice to wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds or more.

What if my income changes and I’m worried about paying my rent?

Find out more on our coronavirus (COVID-19) rent advice page.

Can I still contact my Housing Officer if I have a question about my tenancy?

Yes, your Housing Officers are still here to help. More of them will be working remotely but they can pick up emails and take phone calls to their usual extension numbers. If you do not know the name of your Housing Officer you can call 01442 228000 and ask for ‘housing’. Alternatively, you can email and your enquiry will be allocated to the appropriate person.

Although our Housing Officers are not carrying out home visits at the moment, they will still be able to deal with changes to your tenancy, including tenancy terminations, alterations you wish to make to your tenancy, such as adding a partner or requesting permission to make home improvements or have a pet.

As part of this process, they may ask you to email details or send photos, as they are unable to visit you in person.

Can I still report nuisance behaviour? 

Yes, our dedicated team of Anti-Social Behaviour Officers, alongside or Housing Officers, are still working and will be able to assist you with your complaint. Find out more information and report anti-social behaviour.

If you wish to make a general enquiry, please email the team at

I’m supported by a Sustainment Officer, will they still visit me?

Your Sustainment Officer will be at the end of a phone or email and will continue to support you in all areas they can. They will only visit you in exceptional circumstances and we ask you consider the social-distancing guidelines and help our staff to do this, too. Your Sustainment Officer will be checking in with you more regularly but please don’t hesitate to contact them by phone or email if you need something in the meantime.

What if I want to apply for a mutual exchange?

In line with government guidelines, we have resumed a very limited mutual exchange service. Whilst restrictions remain in place, only those tenants who have a recognised housing need may apply for mutual exchange. Find out more on our Mutual Exchange page

What about repairs and maintenance?

We do not yet know when we will be able to resume routine repairs and maintenance. We are continuing to operate an emergency repairs service and carry out annual gas safety checks and boiler servicing.

Important information for residents of Council-owned blocks of flats

During the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, we are reducing the frequency of Neighbourhood Support Officer visits to our blocks of flats. We have displayed an information sheet in all our blocks, asking for residents to take responsibility for keeping communal areas clear and to report any issues to us by email:

View the  Safety in communal areas information during the COVID-19 outbreak (PDF 491KB)

How can I help?

  • Contact us by email or telephone rather than asking for a home visit 
  • Keep an eye on any updates from the Government, stick to the social-distancing guidelines and wash your hands regularly
  • Look for updates on our website and social media

There are a number of local organisations who will be coordinating support to those most affected. If you are able to, we encourage any donations to the Dacorum Food Bank. Additionally, Community Action Dacorum will be coordinating volunteers. You can contact them at

Please be patient and bear with us. We will try to provide you with the best service we can throughout this disruption.

Government letter to social housing tenants

On 18 May 2020, the Government published a letter from the Minister of Housing setting out the measures that are in place to support social housing residents during the next phase towards reopening society. You can read the letter on the Government's website.

Contact us

If you need to speak to someone about paying your rent and don’t know who your Income Officer is, please call 01442 228000 and ask to speak for Housing Income, or email

If you need to speak to someone about your tenancy and don’t know who your Tenancy Officer is, please call 01442 228000 and ask for Housing Management, or email

Warning signCoronavirus (COVID-19): We continue to provide services online and via telephone. However, we recognise that in some cases you will need an appointment with an officer, and will therefore be offering limited pre-booked appointments at the Forum for urgent enquiries. Please call 01442 228000 and ask for the service you require. For council service updates and other advice, please see our COVID-19 page×