Great British Spring Clean
Be part of the pick
Litter remains a huge problem across the country, causing harm to the environment and wildlife, with councils in England spending almost £700 million on street cleaning services every year. Over the past two years, COVID-related litter, such as face masks and gloves, have added an additional risk to both the public and our green spaces.
To help keep Dacorum litter-free we are supporting Keep Britain Tidy’s national litter-picking campaign, the Great British Spring Clean, which runs from 25 March to 10 April 2022. This year the message is simple. Join the #BigBagChallenge and pledge to pick up as much litter as you can during the campaign.
In Dacorum, we're looking to support and encourage litter heroes - individuals and groups can take part in carrying out litter picks throughout the months of March and April.
In 2021, we had 1,030 dedicated volunteers take part in the Great British Spring Clean with more than 300 bags of rubbish and more than 200 bags of recycling collected from around Dacorum. Whether it's a casual tidy or a thorough clear-up, any amount you choose to pick will help.
Setting up your litter pick
If you want to join the battle against rubbish and become a litter hero, here's what you need to do to set up your litter pick:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know:
- the name of your group (if applicable)
- the date and time of your litter pick (any time during March and April)
- the area you will be litter picking
- Read the coronavirus (COVID-19) updated Litter Picking Process and Guidance and Sample Risk Assessment that we will email to you once you have contacted us.
- Register your litter pick on the official Great British Spring Clean website.
- Return (via email) the Equipment Loan Agreement Form that we will email to you if you are borrowing litter-picking equipment from us.
Supporting your litter pick
To help support your litter pick we can:
- provide orange refuse bags
- provide official-branded Great British Spring Clean recycling bags
- loan litter-picking sticks (on a first-come, first-served basis)
- arrange to have your filled refuse and recycling bags collected after your litter pick.
After your litter pick
After your litter pick is complete, please:
- promptly return any equipment you have borrowed, including any unused bags
- update your results on the Great British Spring Clean website
- email us with:
- how many volunteers took part
- how many bags of refuse you collected
- how many bags of recycling you collected
- how long you spent litter picking
- any photos you have taken of your event that you would like to share with us, along with confirmation that we have permission to use these photos for promotional purposes.