warning sign Our Customer Service phone lines will be closed on Good Friday (15 April) and Bank Holiday Monday (18 April). During these times you can still use all our online services.

You can also contact the emergency council housing repairs service on 0800 018 6050 and make payments using our 24 hour automated service on 0345 370 6070  ×


Appeals against the banding of your property

The grounds for appeal about banding are restricted to the following cases:

  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction (this is explained below) in the value of the property
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between the domestic and business use changes
  • where the listing officer at the Valuation Office Agency has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer;
  • where you become the taxpayer in respect of a property for the first time.

(You must appeal within six months of becoming the taxpayer, but if the same appeal has already been considered and heard by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again)

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering, or other work carried out on the property. In these cases, revaluation does not take place until after the sale, so the person appealing would normally be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the property, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the property suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

If you wish to appeal against the banding of your property you can do this through the Government website.

Appeals against payment of Council Tax

You can appeal to us if you consider that you should not have to pay Council Tax or if you think you are paying too much. This may be because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt, or that we have made a mistake in calculating your bill. If you wish to appeal on these grounds, you should notify us in writing at the address shown below.

If you are appealing against your Council Tax, you should continue to pay your bill in the meantime.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment.

If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a full refund of any overpaid tax.

Contact us

Email: council.tax@dacorum.gov.uk
Phone: 01442 228000
Dacorum Borough Council
Council Tax Section
The Forum
Hemel Hempstead